Wednesday, July 27, 2011

I AM P-IRATE...

I stayed up for all 19 innings.  I saw Jerry Meals call Julio Lugo safe at home plate BEFORE he even actually touched home plate.  I saw Clint Hurdle and Mike McHenry turn red while arguing the call.  I saw Lugo slump his shoulders because he knew he was out.  I watched the Braves telecast replay and heard their announcers shocked and astonished at the initial call.  I heard those same announcers speechless when they saw the replay.  What I didn't see was the umpires going into the clubhouse to review the call...that's because baseball doesn't have instant replay.  Now I am not saying instant replay should be used everywhere in games, the games are long enough as is.  But when runs are scored (plays at the plate, home runs, foul balls) an umpire with the "human element" just isn't good enough.  Here is a quote after the game from home plate umpire Jerry Meals, "I looked at the replays and it appeared he might have got him on the shin area. I'm guessing he might have got him."  Are you freakin' kidding me?  It APPEARED like he may have tagged him, I'm GUESSING he might have got him.  Umpires need to be defiant and sure of their calls and this guy surely isn't too sure of anything giving his performance in last nights game.  He was bad all over the place for and against both teams.  Last nights game was an epic show of grown men giving in their all for 6 1/2 hours, too bad Jerry Meals had to ruin it.

This type of loss is one that can either cause a team to rally and drive forward or stumble and fall down, hopefully these young Pirates can rally around each other and overcome this injustice (too much...?).

*Oh by the way, Meals will be umpiring 3rd base tonight, directly in front of the Pirates dugout, yeah that should go well...*

No comments:

Post a Comment