Friday, July 15, 2011

Pirates @ Astros : 7.15.11

I have owed you, all 10 of my faithful readers, a first half recap and up until now I have not delivered and I am sorry to say that I am not going to be able to deliver before the beginning of tonight's game.  I know that technically the recap would mean less if it came after the 2nd half of the season started but you will all just have to get over it.  Now, on to a little preview of tonight's matchup against the Houston Astros.

Jeff Karstens (7-4, 2.55 ERA) vs. Brett Myers (3-9, 4.88 ERA)




The last time the Pirates faced Brett Myers, the touched him for 5 runs on 13 hits in 5.1 innings.  Myers had struggled since then as well, lasting on 4.1 innings against the Marlins in his last start giving up 6 runs on 4 hits and 4 walks while taking the loss.  Karstens last start happened to be against these same Houston Astros and in that start he went 7 innings while surrendering 1 run on 7 hits including 1 solo home run, the 17th he has allowed in 15 starts.

The last time Brett Myers faced the Pirates both Chase d'Arnaud and Alex Presley had huge games and I look for them both to contribute in tonight's contest.  I also think tonight is a good a time as any for Andrew McCutchen to begin his persuit of the NL MVP award (yeah, I said it).  The Pirates play well and continue their season long dominance of the Houston Astros behind another great outing from Jeff Karstens.  Buccos win 5-2.

No comments:

Post a Comment