Thursday, June 30, 2011

Game 3: Pirates @ Blue Jays - Observations...

This isn't going to be a real game post but I wanted to make a comment or two about what I have been seeing throughout this series. For one, I really love watching Alex Presley and Chase d'Arnaud play baseball. You can tell that these young kids are just happy to be in the big league and love playing the game of baseball. I love how they both run down to first as hard as they can which really shows me that they care about the game and playing it the way it is suppose to be played. Also, d'Arnaud has a freakin' hose for an arm. He fields the ball at 3rd and takes his grand old time getting the ball out of his hand and still gets the runner by 2 steps. I wonder how hard he throws the ball across the infield. What I would give for an arm like that. Another observation is the fact that I have absolutely no idea how Jeff Karstens gets anybody out. He doesn't throw hard, he doesn't have nasty stuff and he does spot his pitches particularly well but he has a 2.60 ERA and a 1.10 WHIP so he is obviously doing something right. The only thing that I can think of is that he changes speeds really well and just knows how to pitch. Some guys just get out there and throw (Re: Joel Hanrahan) but guys like Karstens are in the mold of Greg Maddux. Guys who don't throw hard or have "electric" stuff but pitch with their brain as much as they do with their arm, all of which leads to outs and wins. Here's hoping that he can keep up his winning ways and that the young guys can keep enjoying their "jobs" and playing hard. Let's Go Bucs!

No comments:

Post a Comment